Friday, June 25, 2010

RIP MJ

Thank you.

I vividly remember June 25th, 2009. We'd spent the day mourning Farrah Fawcett's passing, when suddenly the surprise death of Michael Jackson hit. I was going out to dinner with my mom, brother, and good friend Maddy. I remember checking my Facebook right before leaving the house, stumbling upon a blurb on TMZ about MJ being rushed to the hospital in critical condition. I thought it was an internet hoax, and headed over to the restaurant. Still, the shock of the story (TMZ being known for its reliable celebrity news) stuck in the back of my mind. When it was officially announced (our restaurant had numerous televisions) that MJ had indeed left us, a shock ran through the restaurant - everyone there was suddenly a group of friends coming together to mourn a legend. It was surreal, having emotional conversations with strangers about Michael Jackson, what he meant to each person there. Even in death, MJ was bringing people together, just like he did his entire life through his music. I can't drive past the Big Fish Restaurant in Crofton, MD without putting some Michael Jackson on (my personal favorites? P.Y.T., Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', and Bad). And in that sense, the Michael we know and love is still with us today. Shamone.

No comments:

Post a Comment